Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Spotlight: The Bachelor Farmers by Brenda Sorrels

About the Book:
(from book jacket)
     Set in northern Minnesota in the winter of 1919, The Bachelor Farmers tells a story of two Norwegian brothers who learn the meaning of love from a most unlikely source. 
     Hans and Jon, the youngest of four immigrant brothers, have just inherited land from their recently deceased father and set out to develop it, thus perpetuating the family dream of success in America. When Jon learns that the husband of Mahal, a beautiful Ojibwa woman, has been injured on their property and cannot work, he hires her to be their personal cook. 
     Under the eye of his disapproving brother, Jon finds himself falling in love, but when a terrible blizzard blows into town without warning, the three of them must deal with the consequences and make decisions that will ultimately reshape their lives in profound and unimaginable ways. 
     The Bachelor Farmers takes us into a world where true meaning and healing are found in the complexity of human relationships and in the choices that are made in the face of adversity.

About Brenda Sorrels:
(from www.brendasorrels.com)

     I grew up in Fargo, N.D., then headed east to Manhattanville College in Purchase, N.Y. Most of my life has been spent living in Connecticut, but in 2000 I married my college boyfriend, Barry Sorrels, and moved to Dallas where two lovely step-daughters and a new life awaited me.

     Although I've been writing for years, it was returning north for summers, during those lazy country afternoons, when I began to get serious. After numerous workshops and writing courses, I developed a series of short stories, ironically, all set in the Midwest. Working with my college roommate, Margaret Doud, as my editor, in time I expanded one of these stories into The Bachelor Farmers - my first novel.

     I haven’t stopped since, and I’m happy to report that I’m well on my way with another book. The Way Back ‘Round, will be coming out in the fall of 2012. I hope you’ll pick up a copy of my latest book and let me know what you think. I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you a little better.


About the Tour:

13th 
14th 
Bette @ 4writersandreaders (interview)
15th 
16th 
17th 
Anita @ Anita Books
18th 
Patricia Ch @ The First link
19th 
Khamneithang @ huithiang
19th 
20th 
21st 
22nd 

No comments:

Post a Comment