Does developing a high-level vocabulary need to be a tedious, frustrating task? Direct Hits doesn’t think so. Research has shown that a powerful and vibrant vocabulary has a high correlation with success in school, business, the professions, AND standardized tests, including the PSAT, SAT, SSAT, and AP exams. Direct Hits Core Vocabulary of the SAT offers a different approach. This book includes the following features:
Building on the success of previous editions, the authors of Direct Hits Core Vocabulary of the SAT consulted secondary school teachers, tutors, parents, and students from around the world to ensure that these words and illustrations are on target to prepare you for success on the SAT. You will find that the process is effective, worthwhile, and even fun!
- Selective vocabulary found on recent SATs and PSATs used in context. No more memorizing the definitions of long lists of seemingly random words in a vacuum
- Relevant, vivid, and memorable examples from pop culture, historic events, literature, and contemporary issues
- Six easy-to-tackle chapters
- A Fast Review for each chapter, with quick definitions
- A Final Review with sentence completion questions just like real SATs and PSATs, including complete solution explanations
Funducian Flair's Review:
Both Volume 1 and Volume 2 of this book were amazing! It made the agonizing task of learning vocabulary for the SAT less daunting by creating easy to follow pages and linking popular references to the words. The more the students can relate to the words, the greater chance of retention. Additionally, the layout of the book allows for words to build off of each other. There are references to other words used, which allows for a greater recognition of the previous words. Also, there is a quick review section in the back where all the words that are listed in the book are defined. Finally, there is a practice test at the end of each volume to test the knowledge of the words in the book. Overall, it was a fun book, one that I wish I'd had when I was preparing for the SATs.
Rating: Clean Getaway! (5/5)
*** Funducian Flair received this book from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.